Tuesday 16 June 2015

Mad Aussie at Glacier Bay

Glacier Bay Day was very overcast and misty. I can imagine this place would be spectacular on a sunny day but it still had a great vibe despite the weather. I am out of bed early and have rugged up to the max. I mean rugged up...as in woollen undershirt, wool jumper, scarf, coat, gloves....everything except a hat as I don't do hat hair willingly.

So I sit on our balcony and wait. Rob comes to join me dressed like he's taking a stroll down the marina at home. Bloody Kiwi's and their 'I never feel the cold' claptrap. We'll see!!

This place is spectacular. Hearing glacier's calve was huge. Like a gunfire salute. I was in 7th heaven. Seeing this, hearing this....all nice and warm. Yep...nice and cosy.

Well guess what? He caves.

Alaska: 1
Rob 'I never feel the cold' Masters: 0

Our neighbour, Jason is smart enough to be seriously rugged up. Man it is cold.


At this stage, I thought Jason was a sensible bloke.

After a while, we decide to wonder down to the back deck and see more. Not many people are outside so it's great views all round.

Huge Huge Huge
Glorious!
Great colours
The back deck sports an outdoor pool. Of course, it's empty as no sane person would go swimming, right?

Wrong. I spy Jason stripping off his gear.

"What are you doing?" I ask.
"Going for a swim" he responds like it's something you do in sub zero temperatures everyday.
"Are you #&%$ing mad?" I ask him.
"Mate" he says "where else can you say you had a swim in front of a glacier?" after which he does a majestic bomb into the pool.

Aussies are madder than "I never feel the cold" Kiwi's.

Mad Aussie.
It's hard to describe the sheer size of these glaciers.
Of course, it is NEVER too cold for Champagne!!
Ciao for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment